Friday, May 8, 2009

What Thinking Skills Should I Target for my Classroom

In my first grade classroom I find these thinking skills age-appropriate and important. My students use knowledge, comprehension, and application from Bloom's Taxonomy. In first grade I feel that Marzano's Dimension 1 (classroom climate) is an important factor in student learning. In the classroom students need to feel comfortable and accepted in order to take risks with thinking. Another skill to target is Dimension 2 (integration of knowledge). Students need to be able to use their knowledge to make generalizations and building that knowledge is a key factor in order to reach dimension 3. I believe in my classroom we first have to be able to reach the stepping stones before these students are able to dig deeper with their thinking. Lastly, I should target Costa & Kallick's skills: finding humor, responding with wonderment, and learning continuously. I want my students to be curious, engaged learners. Also, I hope they will always strive to improve and grow in their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment